Wednesday, August 10, 2011

FREEDOM TO CHOOSE

Last night I watched the movie The Adjustment Bureau. Let me tell you how much I loved the film.

It reminded me how important it is to fight for what we want.

Life is not about whom we are meant to be with or what we are to do or not.

All we have are the choices that we make.

To make choices it takes commitment. When we commit to a person, or when we commit to do something, we can always achieve it, if we really want it. If we really want something we won't let anything get in our way.

When we are faced with opposition in life many of us tend to think that it's because we are not supposed to be where we are at, or do what we would like to do. In reality, opposition comes whenever we will try to do something.

I have heard more than once the quote that says to pray like everything depends on God, and to act like everything depends on us. When I think about that I like to focus mostly on the second half of the sentence. Because I think that as humans we tend to prefer going for the easy way out. Not a lot of people seem willing to fight for what they want anymore. Often times when we face opposition we tend to just sit back and think, oh I guess it just wasn’t meant to be. Or we just think that it’s ok, and we really don’t need to do it.

For example people give up on marriage whenever it’s hard and justify their decision by saying that it wasn’t meant to be. They assume that opposition and trials are happening because something is trying to tell them that they are not meant to be together.

I think that those are the moments when we should stop and think, and not give up. Because those are the times when we are allowing the dark angels to come and influence us.

Satan is the one that wanted us to come here and just have a predetermined job, with a predetermined spouse, with a set number of kids, and a set path for our lives. He still tries to make us believe it.

Now I do believe that yes there are different paths that we are constantly choosing. Often times when we choose one thing we give up another. Simply because we are not superhumans and we can’t do it all, all the time.

I really loved how in the movie the couple chose their love for each over a worldly career. I do believe that often times when we choose to do what is right, or we choose something that is good, we are giving up other things that we might love. The guy for example was willing to lose his career for love. If he gave up on love he would have only found a substitute from that void, by receiving constant applauses and praises from the crowds. This really reminded me that we need to be careful about what we choose here in life. It doesn’t mean that we can’t have it all. But if we want to do what is right, we will have to give up certain things at times. Love requires time. So sometimes we might find ourselves choosing between a demanding career or a happy family. Because when we choose certain things we might send our children or the people that we love the message that they are less important. And we will make them feel like that, if we don’t dedicate enough time to them. I am not saying that this will be the case for everyone. I am just using an example.

These are just some of the thoughts that I got out of the movie. I am still thinking about it a lot. I am mostly impressed by the inspiring message that they were able to send through the movie. It made me want to get up this morning and just not be afraid of anything. I remembered how important it is to fight for what is right in life. Things will come, but we need to set the right priorities. Hard work and priorities are what will let us achieve it all!

No comments: