Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Darwin or Brad Pitt?

Darwin or Brad Pitt?

I wanna create the next poll out there. I am going to ask you;” Are you a more of Brad Pitt or a Darwin type?” Meaning, would you rather spend a day searching on the internet about Brad Pitt’s life, or about Darwin’s and his discoveries? Some of you might already be doing one of the two.

See I was thinking about how our school system selects what we are to learn or not. We are not really free to learn about everything out there. We are given a strict curriculum and we are only tested on what the government thinks that we should know. And I think that a lot of us spend all this time going to school pretending that what they are learning is really important, and acting like what they are learning is really interesting to them. Just to graduate one day and never open a book again. But when it comes to magazines, they will open plenty.

I am not saying that learning about Brad Pitt is a bad thing. But I wish that education were just left into each one of our own hands. I wonder then what each individual would spend his life learning about. I think it would be great because it would show what we really like and how determined we are.

I know for a fact that I am more of a Brad Pitt type. I am glad that I had school to teach me about Darwin, but I know that when it comes to finding some inspiration, I like to open up the internet and read on about some star’s life to see what they have been doing to make it up to this point. I don’t believe in just doing what someone else has done, but I like to look at other people to try and learn about life.

Going back to my poll, I think that my question is just as clever as half of the stats and surveys that are being done out there. The amount of knowledge that our society gives us and the things that it focuses on are such garbage, that I can’t believe that those people even claim to be educated.

So it is not our degrees that will really prove how clever we are. It is what we will spend the rest of our lives learning about.

No comments: