Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Standing up for women

What a day today!!! I went to my cake decorating class today for the second time when something really unpleasant happened. I had been looking forward to this class all week. I knew it was going to be a little hard today because I was going to have to bring my baby, but I was excited to go and since it's a small class with all women I figured it would be a lot of fun.
Well things didn't turn out as well. I came into the classroom a little late because I got locked out of my hotel room etc, etc. I noticed how the teacher looked a little annoyed but I was just trying to ignore her since I didn't think she was really nice since day one. I started doing some things, and she kept picking on me complaining for not bringing one thing, or looking weird at me when I had a question. Finally she pulls me out of the classroom and takes me somewhere else on the back to tell me that she did not like that I was bringing my baby to the classroom.
That made me super mad. I got on her case big time. I told her how unfair society is. That women are absolutely not being recognized for what they do. I told her that I looked forward all week just to come, and that at 6 p.m. I was not gonna find a day care, nor can I afford one. Signing up for this class only required money, and my husband right now works from 11 a.m. until 10 p.m. I told her that this is my thing where I wanna go and unwind.
The baby hadn't even done anything. I was there and I told her that I was assuming full responsibility for him, and that even if maybe I couldn't do as much with the baby I was there to learn her tips and then go home and practice.
She told me the other moms were there to unwind from their kids too. I asked her if they had mentioned that the baby bothered them but she said she didn't know. So obviously it was all her!!! The funny part is that when I was in the class all the women kept smiling at the baby and kept asking me questions about him. No one seemed unhappy but her.
She told me that she was afraid he would be loud and no one would hear her. But then she recognized that this is a classroom of 4 so that wouldn't be the problem.
I told her I wanted to quit on the spot and that I wanted a refund. I told her that that was embarrassing. I had taken this same class in Utah and when I brought my baby the teacher offered to hold him the entire time. We even had a conversation on how lots of women that teach are really non tolerant about kids in the classroom, but that some women have been wonderful about it and offered some help to these moms rather than making their life harder.
So my teacher finally kinda got the point but said that most likely she won't be able to give me a refund.
I went back to class after taking five minutes to breathe and cry it all out. When I went back though I wasn't in the mood for decorating cakes anymore. I no longer felt welcome either. Plus Davide fell and started crying. I think him falling and crying all happened just because I wasn't feeling well and he perceived everything that happened. So I waited outside until class was over and then grabbed my stuff and left. I whispered to my baby to never let anyone tell him he is an inconvenience.
Now I was thinking of trying and bother a friend to watch him for the next few weeks since I would hate to quit my only true hobby, or I was trying to see if I should protest and try and get a refund just to prove my point to society.
What do you think I should do?
P.S. I signed up at a local gym only because they offer free baby day care while you work out. Not even in Utah I have found such a thing : )

3 comments:

Leslie said...

Wow! I can't believe how rude that lady was to you! That is ridiculous how she treated you. Good for you for putting her in her place. It just makes me sad bc I know how much you were looking forward to that class. Sorry girl!!!

debo said...

for sure she was very rude.......sai magari era una zitellona senza figli :)...anyways, it is not fair, unless other students had complained the only reason could be that she was bother by it. problems like that happen here too. i know that noble had told brandon once that no babies in the classroom. we are talking BYU. this poor girl brought her baby to class but he never made a sound it was a new born and slept the whole time and she still didnt want her.
i also can see how some people go to the classes to get away...but then again if they didn't complain!i just wish you were herre...i wold take Daviduccio. LOve you!!!

katie b. p. said...

so I have thought a lot about this! I have re read it like 5 times and I am so frustrated by that lady, but am torn about the situation. I think she definitely handled it wrong and that she was way out of line and it really bothers me she was so rude, especially to you--the most perfect, sweet person ever! He wasn't even acting bad and she should feel lucky that someone would want to come and learn so much to even bring a baby and deal with them during a lesson. It is harder for you than her. However, I could see if Davide, not that he would because he is gorgeous and perfect, was fussy and you weren't able to get anything done anyway and he was crying the whole time, but even then you could stand in the back and take in the advice to try later. My mom taught a class in law school and she allowed a baby to come -- in Law School! I would like to think that a woman would understand my situation and let me bring my baby in if it was once in a while and my baby was behaved. The only reason I am torn is that I had an experience where I threw a baby shower for a girl in my ward and another lady brought her 15 mo old. He was grossly misbehaving, breaking things, SCREAMING, throwing fits, and it really disrupted the party and didn't give all the other women that got babysitters a night away from that. So it is hard. I think if she had a problem then she could have been nicer and said she would prefer if you got a babysitter for next time or something, but as long as you understand if Davide is not up for a night out and respect the classroom and leave if necessary then I think you are JUST FINE! Sorry! I wish I was there and would babysit for you!